Monday, August 14, 2017

Combat Con 2017 Making progress.

I did it, now what?
But we will get back to that.

This past weekend was Combat Con 2017. For those of you not sure what that means, here is the skinny. Combat Con was the first sword event I ever attended and it changed my life. That can be found here: http://theswordsmanslife.blogspot.com/2014/06/getting-there-and-back-again-combat-con.html
The long and short is that my first Combat Con forced me to ask myself "How can, I?" Rather than staying stuck saying "I can't", I came back in 2015, and it had some great ups, and some major downs but it changed the course of my training just a bit more.
They can be found here:
http://theswordsmanslife.blogspot.com/2015/06/combat-con-matters.html
http://theswordsmanslife.blogspot.com/2015/06/my-personal-thoughts-on-moving-myself.html

This Combat Con was a turning point for me.
So, the review:
I loved the venue this year, the spaces were plentiful, the schedule allowed me to attend most of the classes that I wanted to attend. But there is something more than that to me. What makes Combat Con for me is the people. I have met people from all around the world here and yet, the thread that binds us all is our love for the art that we practice. For some, that is a particular weapons system, or a particular style of weapons or unarmed study, but that thread binds us all. At Combat Con, the Rapier student and the Long sword student can stand side by side and find common ground in the things that we teach and study.
Combat Con is a family not of blood but of steel. I have seen people help those outside their club improve because the better we all are, the more we have to push ourselves to BE better. I have stood in the corner and coached friends who did not have a coach there to help them, and this weekend I had friends who stood behind me no matter where they were from because they believed in me and were proud of the hard work I have been doing. These are MY people, and there was not a person I met who did not want me to do well.
I met a lot of new people, had one of my best days in HEMA and walked away not only excited for next year, but proud of myself and 2 friends of mine who had good showings in tournaments. One of our students who has moved clubs but still comes to our class from time to time took 1st in steel Long sword and Beginners cutting, but for me this year meant something bigger.

Cutting it
2 years ago at Combat Con I was not able to pass my cutting qualifier to be able to compete in the steel long sword tournament. This was hard on me and I did not do as well as I wanted to in the tournament I ended up in. A year ago, my job was in trouble, so I did not attend. This year, with work stabilized I decided would be the time to come back, and overcome the challenges I faced last time.
I have been working my butt off the last little bit, to make sure that this time I would pass. Going down to Vegas I told myself that if I passed, I would bring home a new cutting sword, and once down I told my friends that if I failed, that money would go to buying more mats so that next time I would be 100% sure that I would pass it. 4 cuts later, I was in. Months and months of worry and hard work to understand how to use my body properly to make sure I could do it was over and here I was, proud of all I had put into it. Not only my local guys cheered me on, but also those friends who have supported me over the years from other clubs.

On to Steel! 
The pools were set, mine was bigger than the others but I was going into it knowing that win or loose I would give it my best and prove that I belonged there. In my first match I had on of my friends who has been behind me for the last few years corner coaching me. This is why I love this community, RJ stood with me, when I felt like crap because I failed last time and believed in me that I could get where I wanted to be by this time. Though in California, he critiqued video I sent him and was super supportive all along this process.  At the end of the day, I won 2 of my 4 matches and moved on to eliminations since I did well enough to place in the top 24. I may have lost my next match but I made it further than I ever expected to make it, and if my friends are to be believed My fighting has improved since my first time 3 years ago.

Moving forward. 
This event has done more for my self esteem than any event I have ever been to. These people want me to do well and are really cheering me on as I work towards that. I am not sure what my next goals may be, but I know that my "Combat Con family" is there for me as I decide and work hard to get there. These are not the people I am related to by blood, but they are those who share a love for the art, and who want all of us to succeed, we may meet other places, but this event has a special place in my heart as where it all began, and where I know I can find a good fight, a decent drink, and some great friends always willing to stand in my corner when I need it.

Till next year my friends!
Jordan (You know that Henry VIII dude)