Wednesday, September 2, 2015

49 days Don't get away from your core.

Punchy,
Yesterday I interviewed for a job, today I found out that I did not get it. Over the last few weeks I have been in a bit of a funk. I am trying to figure out what it is that I want to do. On one hand I can dive back in and do the same or a similar job again, on the other it is a question of do I do something else.
Focus on what is core to you. I am not sure where I will end up for jobs, but it is a question of looking at things I enjoy and am good at doing. I took some time today to think about what I love to do and am good at and here is what I came up with. I love Sword. (Duh!) I love to teach and educate people on history and the things I love like sword. I love to have a job well done. When I started doing floor care I always took pride in walking away knowing that they looked better because I had worked on them and had done the job the right way. It is easy to cut corners, but the satisfaction of a job well done cannot be understated.

When I am working in the shop, I like to have things done the right way. There is no pride in doing it in a way that will do for now but you have to fix later, the only exception to that is when there is a deadline and you need something that functions but is not finished only to come back to it later.
I like to write, and sometimes can be pretty good at it. So why not just build things in the shop? The challenge as I see it is that I love to build things but do not want to spend my whole time making a bunch of one or 2 items repeatedly then try to sell them.

I love sword, but I am not ready for the step where I teach it full time. There are some things that I have to do before I am ready, the least of which is that in class I am not an Instructor yet, that is a big word, but it has a lot of meaning to me.  We are not in a place where we are ready yet. I am also not in a place where I can teach history in schools full time yet, so at this point I am looking for something to pay the bills until I am ready for those steps.

Do what you believe in, what is core to you. I enjoy all of these things, and will do what I need to so we keep a roof over our heads, but at this point I am looking for something that will allow me to do what I love. It is a hard place to be but I have to have some faith that it will work out, no matter what that means.

Love you Kiddo-
-Dad