Sunday, February 11, 2018

Creating a club culture through a Code of Conduct

Every group of people has a culture.  Whether that is a HEMA club, or a bunch of friends hanging out, as social animals Humans create culture. But what is culture, how do we create it, and how do you form your culture in such a way that it supports your goals and objectives?

Lets start with Culture, what is culture? 
Miriam Webster defines Culture as: the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group.

So who creates culture in a club setting?
The short answer is everyone in the class contributes to the club culture. The long answer is a bit more complex. A clubs culture is dictated by its membership but that can be molded by the actions of its leadership. If inappropriate actions are not dealt with they dictate the culture. If there is a negative perception from an outsiders view, this can dictate the culture or even growth of your club.

It all starts at the door. Before someone has walked in the door, how do you look to outsiders? Are you welcoming and friendly? If they walk in the doors do you talk to them, or just keep doing your own thing? Just to be clear, this does not need to be the place of the instructor to greet people, but someone should talk to them at least initially.
Now that you have talked to them, and find out they want to start class. What steps do you take to include them in the club culture?
In my own club, along with their signed waiver, I have a club waiver that includes emergency contact information, medical issues we should know about, as well as a code of conduct that outlines what things we expect of our students, as well as what actions are unacceptable. I also add this information into a google spreadsheet so I do not need to have the physical form with me at all times and can access someones emergency contact info on my phone in case something happens and we need it.

The code of conduct section for my club is as follows:

As an accepting organization, the UCSA wants all members to feel welcome. We strive to ensure that within the realm of  being a martial arts school who practices with full contact, that you feel safe, emotionally and physically. If during your time as a member of our group, you feel you are being harassed, discriminated against or feel uncomfortable with anyones behavior, (instructor, classmate, or observer) please let a member of the council,  or your instructor know.
UCSA Code of Conduct:
I will treat everyone with respect regardless of their age, sex, gender identity, race, or sexual orientation using appropriate language, and appropriate physical conduct in all official events.  If I have concerns I will address them to the person they involve, or if I feel unable to do so, I will address them with the instructor, or a member of the U.C.S.A. council. I will follow instructions in all class activities but will ask questions as appropriate. If I become frustrated and need to take a time to calm down, I will request to do so. If at any time I feel I am unable to follow this code of conduct, I will remove myself from U.C.S.A. activities until I feel I am able to do so. If my instructor feels I am in violation of any of these agreements they will speak to me directly about it so that I may remedy it. If I refuse to do so, I may be asked to leave class and forfeit all paid dues until I am willing to follow this code of conduct in all U.C.S.A. events.  The U.C.S.A. retains the right to judge any and all incidents that may occur on their own

merit.    Initials_______

Now that you have that you have to make sure you stick with it. If someone acts inappropriately, how do you handle it? Do you have them sit class out, do you let them know that they are not welcome in the future, what kind of action is appropriate. If you are not willing to take some action if people act out, that creates a culture. If you allow some joking and fun in class that creates a culture, How you act and how people are treated in class reflects the culture you have created.

At the end of the day, the Instructor of a club sets the tone, but the clubs culture is perpetuated by the members of the club. If you feel like your club's culture is toxic or does not work, no matter what your role in it, work to improve that. If you do not want to create a code of conduct that is fine too. I find that it has helped in my club to lay out what we expect and what is not OK in our club. You could say that club culture can go as far as your fliers, or signs, or whatever promotional material you have, and I will explore that in the next blog entry.