Sunday, October 11, 2015

My class: 10 days and counting What is my teaching about?

Punchy,
You are about 10 days from us, but you are welcome any time you get here. Your Stephenson grandparents came by today and we were able to show them your stroller and your room, and the co sleeper.

In today's blog I am going to talk a bit about what
What do I want my class to be?
I feel that my class should be a place where we teach the art, but also develop the person. The art is important, but what we are about is larger than that. If someone wants to become a leader, it should be my job to help them do so. If they want to train to be on a bigger stage, I should be willing to do what I can. If I feel someone is acting out of integrity by not calling shots it is my job to call them on it. I want students who I know whether I am there or not things go on as they should and if they leave or move away as has happened from time to time, I feel that I have given them the tools to continue their study some place else.

This art, like any other art, is about having the tools in your toolbox so you know what to do when you need to. I do not have all the answers to these questions as I am not a master swordsman, but I do know where to look to find answers or to point you in the right direction to find them. We may train 100 things, and you find that when you are sparring you only use 5 of them directly. It is my job to make sure you know all of them and feel comfortable enough with them that if you see an opening to you know what to do without hesitation, or if you want to create an opening you know how to do that too.

So what does a week of our class look like?
We begin each class stretching out doing and some basic drills. these are done to warm up and get ready for class, Then we will cover the big idea of the day. We will talk about the big idea and teach or work on a technique around that idea. Then we will play games or free play around the idea. Finally we will do some free sparring or other games not attached to the drill to work on implementing the idea. It is pretty basic, but I feel like it develops things at a good pace. If too much is covered in a week than retention is not as good. To that end, each week will have a theme, and each set of drills will be a variation around that theme or big idea.

This is my plan. I can;t say it is a great one or something I will stick with, but it is a start.
I am not sure this will matter to you or anyone eventually. but it is what is on my mind right now so better to write it down for you, and for those who will be my students now and one day in the future.

Love you kid.
Dad