Sunday, July 19, 2015

Day 95 & 94 Appreciate beauty & The family you choose

I did not write yesterday.
 I would have written but between sword, and going to American Fork for the Ukulele festival with Heather and Zeb there was just not enough time. Sometimes life happens little man. 
That being said, I play to more than make it up to you today.  

95 Days, 
We went to the Ukulele festival in American Fork last night with Heather and Zeb. (You do not know them yet, but you will I am sure) We bought your mom a Ukulele, she is excited to learn how to play it. Maybe with a little luck and some practice, we will be playing it for you soon.
Since this is a 2 day post, today I have 2 things for you. 
Embrace beauty. 
Sometimes, in the middle of life, when things are busy or you are too worried about what is next, how you are going to get everything done before you need to, it is easy to forget that we live in a beautiful world. When things are tough, sometimes its the little things that make it all alright. Tomorrow, the sun will rise over those same mountains. Don't forget to look for that beauty son. 

During the concert last night there was a micro burst rain storm. Out of one of the windows I watched the sunlight on a building that was just outside of the one we were in. The way that the sun hit the building it was in a word beautiful. The man who designed it had not intended for it to be I am sure. 

Of course you want it to be aesthetically pleasing, yes, functional, sure. Beautiful? Not necessarily. 
Sometimes you have to lift you head and look for the beauty. Sometimes you have to get in close and breathe it in. Look for the dew on the grass in the morning, Listen for the song of the mourning doves, the smell of the rain on hot cement. Sometimes you must look for beauty, we live in a beautiful world, you need only seek it out. Some things you can never catch through the frame of a Photo lens, at least not really. Don't forget to stop taking pictures sometimes and instead enjoy the moment, breathe it in, make a memory. Sometimes life happens and you must step back and observe it and smile. Live your life, enjoy it. 
Embrace the beauty son, 
-Dad

94 Days, 
This morning I felt you move again, after we had breakfast mom told me that you keep moving, could be the Orange Juice, but it makes me happy to hear that you are moving so much. Sometimes it is hard to be a waiting dad. I know you are there, I know you are growing and I will see you soon, but it is hard to not see you. Sometimes when your mom or the puppies are asleep, I worry that they are not breathing and so I watch for their chest moving. It is never something to worry about but things like that happen, they occur to you. You love them so much, but know it is better to see if they are breathing, than to wake them up and confirm it. 
Family, 
There are people you are related to who sometimes you are not sure you want to be related to. Sometimes the people who share our same genes but little else, you disagree on many things, you do not have much in common with them but they are family. You have 2 "brothers" who we love as if they were our own children. Some call them fur babies, I call Sam and Sketti my sons and love them as much as I love anyone. They are my chosen family. I have other friends who I share no blood with who are as dear to me as some of my genetic family. That is a part of life. You are going to have Uncles, Aunts, and grand parents with whom you share no blood but I assure you they are family. Some family you are born with, some you choose, some choose you. Some of your nearest and dearest friends will feel like family even when your family does not. That does not mean that family is not important. Your Great Grandmother, who passed away recently used to say you don't divorce family. Sometimes the same goes for the family you choose. 
There are lots of other people who you do not share blood with who will call you family, we all love you and are excited to meet you. 
-Dad