Thursday, August 20, 2015

62 days Daily practices and their value.

Punchy,
This morning my phone app said that you are about the size of a coconut. (With it's husk I am sure) That is not the case, we know that you are longer than that because there are times that your mom is sitting on the couch, and we can feel you on both sides of her belly. It is soon now, just over 2 months to your due date which is as much a guess as anything. If your mom is right, you will be born later than that, but time will tell.

This morning I got up and ran through my workout program I have been doing. Last week I skipped 2 days. If I keep with it the rest of the next 51 days now I will end the program on the day of our next sword competition. It has been hard some days to get up and go, but I have done it because I need to, it helps me feel like I am starting my days out right. and makes the rest of the day go better.
I have talked about sticking to things when you say you are going to do it before, but this goes beyond work, or a job that you have. Sometimes when it comes to exercise or other daily practices there is a good reason to keep them going it feels better when you do.

Wake up every morning and do your hair, Brush your teeth, when it is time to do so shave, and wear deodorant. Make sure your clothes look good and are fresh and clean. What I have found over time is the days that I do all of this I feel better. Days I wake up and make my bed, and make sure the dishes are done or the house is cleaned up, I feel I can go into the world knowing that things are in order at home. Will it happen always? No. But if you can do it more days than not life becomes less stressful.

When I was growing up I remember my mom telling me to clean my room, or brush my teeth, or what have you. As an adult what I have learned is that when I do put things where they belong, I can find them easier when it is time to look for them and waste less time searching for them. I spend less time stressed because I can't find something. Turn this into your meditation. wake every morning and do things with intention. What I have found in my time here is that the days I do, turn out much better than the days I feel rushed or just skip it because I have other things I need to to. Make time in your day to reflect, take time in your day to attend to your personal grooming, and it will not let you down at the end of the day.

When I was 15 I went to school one day without brushing my teeth. That morning I saw a cute girl from one of my classes in the hall. She asked me if I had any gum. I said that I did not have any with me that I could share. She said that it was for me, and that my breath smelled bad. If you attend to these things daily you can avoid this sort of thing. It did not ruin our relationship as we were still friends, but it made me realize that just because I did not want to take the time it did not mean that other people would give me a pass on it. What I am suggesting is turn it into a daily practice that brings things to center, prepares you for the day, and starts things out right. Know where your things go and keep them there, so when you need them you can find them. start the day out right, and stick with it and you will find that despite anything else, it will help you keep on track. It may not make rough days not rough, but it will make things a little better and some days that is enough.
-Dad