Sunday, August 9, 2015

74 and 73 days Make a plan but don't be afraid to change it sometimes.

Punchy
I like plans. I like drawing things out to their conclusion and having a road map so I know how I am going to get there. Then things like getting fired happen and everything goes off course.
Because of that, I am working on a plan as to how to handle things for the next little bit as I look for a job. I am going to be honest with you, applying for jobs is easy. You find something that you think you can do, and tell them you would like to be considered for it, that does not take a lot of time. Interviews can take a lot of time, taking tests with some organizations to be considered (I am looking at you USPS) can take some time, applying does not.
So what do you do with your day when you go from having 9 and a half hours for work between commute and working itself to having the need be 15 minutes of applying for jobs a day? That is where I need a plan. The key is to keep yourself busy with something. Keep your mind engaged and working. But always know what you are able to do and what you are not.
This week I am volunteering to help at the booth for the Renaissance faire at the Salt Lake County fair. I am doing it in part because they needed the help, but also in part because it will keep me out of the house a few hours on Wednesday and Thursday even if it is in costume. (Not that I mind that) I am also going to keep on my going to the gym everyday and am building a fitness plan to keep myself busy and working on myself and what sword stuff I can do for the next while while I do not have a job to fill that time.
Make a plan, it may not always work in the long run, but it will keep you at least headed in the right direction. As the old saying goes "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there."
Don't be afraid to change your mind or your plan.
Right now, things are tough for me in the making plans world. Everything depends on how quickly I can get back to work. I have things to do this week on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. These things are hard on my schedule and can't change. Unless... If I am able to get something new, if I am able to get an interview, or someone offers me a job, I need to take it even if that means changing my plan. Right now I am looking at being Henry VIII at the Renn faire, but if I have a job in 2 weeks that makes me start on a Friday or Saturday and I can't make it to the fun things, that is what I have to do. In the beginning of September is the Utah State Fair. I have been working for them now 20 fair's including volunteering. This last week I worked a few hours working on things in the store and plan on doing so most of the next Friday's until I have a job. UNLESS... If I get a job soon, (I was out of work 25 days when I was fired in 2006) The plan has been to work at the fair, but if I get something new before it starts I may have to work different shifts or we may have to change the schedule as that job is a seasonal one, and does not pay me as well as anything I am applying for. Make your plans but do not be afraid to adjust or change them if you need to.
Yesterday I taught sword class. Travis let me know late that he was not going to be there, so I took class. I made a plan that covered a lot of things I wanted to talk about and some new drills that I had thought up while at the gym this week. Some of them worked. Some of them did not work so well, so we had to change them. One of my students made a suggestion after one of them that was more of a transitional step that we could try and once we tried that, it worked better at least to begin with. After some discussion it was decided that both ways had their place, but one was a good first step to the other.
You are due on the 22nd of October or were initially. They are moving the due date around some but it is just a guess. If I set my heart hard on the 22nd and made sure I was off work on that date specifically (assuming I have a job) I may be disappointed to find out that you may not be born that date. You have to be flexible, some things change and if you do not go with them you are going to have a long time of trouble for it. I started at the University in June of 2006. I always thought that if I could hang in there, hold on until I was 65 I would be there 40 years. That was not in my cards I guess so now I have to make a new plan. and move forward having let the other go.

Life is not always easy kid, but if you are not willing to bend and flex with it, you have made it harder on yourself than it needs to be.
-Dad