Tuesday, August 18, 2015

64 days, Internal strength.

Punchy,
"Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?" You are now 64 days from us. You are starting to stick out and there are several times when your mom has me feel your arm or leg or what have you through her belly. I had a meeting today to talk about an event that we are doing at the Main Library in November. It sounds like it will be a great event but I have a lot to do in order to make sure it is all in place for it. Between that, working out for a long time today and riding my bike to the gym, it has been a busy day. Tomorrow I have a phone interview for a job at IHC. I am not sure if I will get it, but it is something.

Today, Inner strength.
At the gym over the last little bit, I have been doing this thing called the Heroes journey work out. It is pretty funny as it is made a lot like a role playing game or something so always has some fun things involved in it. Today, the "Oracle" told me I was not the Hero and had to prove it. This is a piece of paper, it is not someone staring me in the face and telling me I cannot do it, it is a line on paper. But I found myself fighting as hard as I could to prove the oracle wrong.
In life, there will be things you cannot physically do. Things that take your muscles, and mind and wits to an end.  But sometimes you will find that somewhere down deep, you have a little more and can press on no matter how you feel you have reached your end. Over the last few weeks, I have found that whether I feel I can keep going or not there is a deep place from which springs all of my energy and strength that I have just a little bit more to give when I need to. Do not doubt that you can give a little more.

Yes, sometimes it is not so. Muscles will fail, eventually but that limit may not be as quick and as soon as you think it is. There are 3 quotes I used to have at my desk:  a Chinese proverb that says "those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" a quote from Henry Ford, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't you are probably right" and one more that said "the enemy of the best is often the good".Sometimes when you feel there are limits, you may be able to push on just a little bit further. You may surprise yourself.

But what is the value in that? There have been times when I was hiking and felt like I could not go on anymore. You keep going, keep trucking. What you will find is that the journey is worth the extra work you put into it, in fact, if you put in the extra work, when you get there you find that it is more worth it because of the hardship you came through. If it was easy, it would not be as worth it. At the gym, I am finding this is the case. When I am tired, feel like I cannot do one more lap or one more crunch, I find that with a little will power I can do that and more.

Your greatest strength will come from within, it is the core of you, it comes from somewhere deep within you. That you alone, can find, and no man but yourself can quench. You are capable of great things, but it is only you who will be able to decide it and prove it to others.

Love you Kiddo.
-Dad